Abbess of Visions

For those who want to tune in to the random wafflings of Sue Wallace in greater detail.

Friday, September 29, 2006

Musical Mornings

Something I've been working on recently, in spare moments (of which I haven't had many!) is a musical version of morning prayer. There are lots of reasons why I want to do this, but maybe the most urgent of which, is that the said version really doesn't do much for me. Its too wordy and too lumpy, and the common worship version is too changeable for my taste.
Its neither old, nor really new either. And I don't like being tied to a book.

So I've been working on an ipod version. But it is a tough tough job! Musically, its tough. This stuff doesn't chop up into verses well, or fit itself easily to a tune. And lyrically its even tougher. Keeping the sense of these ancient prayers whilst translating them into something that still makes sense and keeps continuity, and yet fits some sort of tune is very very difficult.

Then of course, even once I've set the canticles, I need to set 150 psalms, which is, frankly an impossible task. I can't do that.
But I might be able to set a few, and find a few and say a few over a deep and chilled backing track. Oh we shall see. Anyway once I've finished the canticles I shall record the vocals and bung them up on my soundclick space. Till then you can have a look at what I've got so far by way of a Te Deum, with the reminder that this is a work in progress.....

Te Deum.

Te deum laudamus praise God.
We’re naming You the Living Lord
For all creation bows to you
Our everlasting Father.
The choirs of angels seranade You
The heavens and the heavenly powers
The Cherubim and Seraphim
Cry out aloud.

Holy, holy holy
God of power and might
Heaven and earth are full
Of the majesty of You.

The prophets and apostles praise You
The martyrs in their shining robes
Your church throughout the globe adores you
Father majesty immense
Together with your one unique Son
And Holy Spirit, comforter.
You are the King of Glory, Christ
And everlasting Father’s son.

LiIberating humans
Not shy of a virgins womb
Conquering death
And opening Heaven to all who trust.

You’re sitting at the Father’s right hand
In glory shining from His face
And we believe You’ll come and judge
The human race.
We ask You now, come help Your servants
The ones you saved with Your own blood
To count them with your saints
In glorious everlasting love.

Lord, come save your people
Bless your heritage
Govern them
And lift them up to eternity.

Day by day we bless You.
Praise Your name on Earth.
To the age of ages
both now and evermore.

Guard us Lord and keep us
Free from sin today
God have mercy on us
O Lord have mercy

Rain your mercy on us
As we trust in You.
In you God I trust
Never leave me far from You.
Never leave me far from You.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andii said...

Is it time to revamp chant? I heard a theory once that the sedate chant systems like Gregorian took their origin from rather more lively Hebrew music where metre was less important and words could be crammed together or lengthend by insertion of extra notes [quavers made into semiquavers etc]...
Just a thought ...

It may be worth also having stuff that's just said against a musical background ... ?

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home