Abbess of Visions

For those who want to tune in to the random wafflings of Sue Wallace in greater detail.

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Book Meme Tig

I've been tagged...so here are the answers to these ten bookish questions
Book Meme:

1. One book that changed your life:
I suppose it would be too obvious to say the bible, or in particular the gospels, but assuming that that wasn't allowed as an answer I would have to go for Therese of Lisieux's diary. In a world where people are always hatching grand plans and big schemes, where we aim for power and happiness and riches, she celebrates the little and shows people how to transform the
everyday things of life into something special and profound.

2. One book that you've read more than once:

I've read most of the Terry Pratchett books at least once. I generally pick them up every couple of years or so as they're brillianty witty, amusing and yet actually quite profound at times.

3. One book you'd want on a desert island:

Now that book would have to be The Lord of the Rings, because its long and interesting enough to satify constant re-reading.

4. One book that made you laugh:

The other year I picked up an old copy of the book "Bless me Father" by Neil Boyd. I think its out of print these days
but it was a pretty hilarious account of Catholic parish life in the 1950s.

5. One book that made you cry:

I don't cry easily at books, films and music do it more for me, so I suppose I'd have to think of generally moving books which might make me cry if I cried at books. "Blood, Sweat and Tea" by Tom Reynolds, which is the book version of the Random Acts of Reality blog, has some pretty moving entries as well as funny informative and infuriating ones. So I think I would go for that.

6. One book you wish had been written:

Maybe it has and I just haven't discovered it yet, but I really think someone needs to write a book about the theology of failure. We have all these books about business success stories, and then there are the Christian versions - books about the super-pastors who grow a church from 3 to three thousand. But what about the faithful and holy Chirsitans who start something and it doesn't work. Why are they looked down on? Why can't we use different criteria for success. Why can't we celebrate the failures. After all, one thing that is pretty much guaranteed in life is that sooner or later we will all fail.

7. One book you wish had never been written:

Those awful hate-filled so-called-Christian tracts that are anti-pretty-much-everything
and appalingly anti-Catholic.

8. One book you're currently reading:

The life of Mary Ward (what a woman!). In case you don't know, in the days when women were expected to be locked-up
and quietly holy, she pioneered the idea of orders of nuns go out and help people. She had a bit of a fight on her hands
with the church powers-that-be (new things always seem to generate a bit of flack!) but they came round to the idea in the end.

9. One book you've been meaning to read:

I keep meaning to read more classic books by the mystics, and not getting round to it. One day.....

10. One book you'd like to write: Both Are True:

I think I'd have to pass on that one as not much comes to mind.

So there we are...I bet I think of loads of better answers tomorrow, but anyway, here is today's list.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home